Updated: Jan 31, 2019
Homemade gifts are the best, except when they aren't lol. I think a mix of homemade and store bought is right where it's at! These latte ornaments are adorable for the coffee loving bestie in your life and make the perfect topper to a cute new mug! Fill the inside with candy, gift cards, jewelry, fresh ground coffee or anything really!
Let's get to it!
Cream and Red-ish Brown Felt (Hobby Lobby)
Brown and Cream Thread
Sewing Needle (yes I love my friends enough to sew something, hot glue was very much debated)
Cotton Balls for Stuffing
String/ribbon to Hang the Ornament
This project is very simple in theory, and just a bit time consuming if you choose to sew it. I chose to hand sew mine, but I'm sure if you're handy with a sewing machine, this could go much more quickly.
1) Trace and cut 2 cream circles and 1 brown circle using the top of your mug.
2) Fold your brown felt circle in half to cut your latte art symmetrically. I added a little more interest after unfolding it. You could print out a latte art pattern online through google images. I chose a simple pattern, especially since I was making multiples.
3) Use the brown thread to stitch the latte art onto the top of one of the cream circles.
4) If you want to add embroidery on the back, this is the time to do it. You could add a cute patch, or stitch a message into it. After you have the back how you like it, use cream thread to stitch together the bottom cream circle to the combined brown and white circle (leave the opening at the top to add ribbon for the ornament). I made sure to only pass the needle through the 2 cream circles so that the cream thread wouldn't show on the brown latte art. Leave a small opening towards the end for stuffing.
5) Use the cotton balls to stuff the ornament to as full as you'd like. Add a looped ribbon to hang the ornament, and stitch up the remainder of the circle.
And Gift Away!
These adorable mugs are from Chalk Full of Love. She is the Calligraphy Queen! I can't recommend her products enough! I hope you enjoy this December DIY Kickoff! As always, please tag me in your makings. I love seeing how you customize your creations!